Remember that the subway was new and, except for the construction crews and IRT employees, most people didn’t know how to “use” it. The Times published a sort-of subway FAQ that answered most people’s fears and most commonly asked questions about the new subway.
- What is the fastest way to reach any given point along the subway? Take an express train to the nearest express station and there change to a local train.
- If the motorman should die, what would become of the train? It would stop automatically.
- Is subway travel injurious to the eyes? A well known occulist says that looking at the rows of white columns is very straining. Therefore, don’t look at them.
- Don’t try to stick your head out of the window of a subway train. The lower windows are fastened down.
- Don’t walk across the tracks between station platforms. You would have to cross four deadly third rails.